From "The Heritage of Yadkin County" copyright 1981
Union Cross Friends Meeting began with a man named John Bovender who was known as "Jackie." One of the early German pioneers, he died in 1869 at the age of 87 and was buried in a spot of his own choosing. Oral tradition tells us that he somehow envisioned a church to come later, which was eventually established near his grave.
A son of "Jackie's," William E. (Bill) Bovender secured a "store" building around 1881 and invited people to come there for worship and study. It was located across the road from the present home of Mrs. Ethel Styers. (Approx. 200 yards from the present church parsonage) The people were glad to get a church in the community.
Around 1887 the store building was rolled up the road to what is now the cemetery area by means of logs. Bill Bovender's team of oxen pulled while the men and boys pushed.
A frame building was soon erected, then, in due course, this gave way to a better building. Over the years other building improvements have led to a bricked church, a modern parsonage (1968) and a fellowship building (1972).
Union Cross was under the care of Deep Creek Meeting prior to 1911. How long it was in the preparative stage is not known. A committee appointed by Deep Creek consisting of P.L. Adams, L.D. Shore, and W.E. Wooten had been active for some time in encouraging the Friends at Union Cross to look to becoming a monthly meeting (self-governing). The request to become a monthly meeting by this group was made to Deep Creek Church on December 3,1910, at a regular business session of Deep Creek Meeting. There was immediate approval and the recommendation was forwarded to the next Yadkin Valley Quarterly Meeting.
This meeting was held at East Bend on January 21, 1911. There the following members were appointed to set up the Union Cross Meeting: J.Monroe Vestal, John H. Long, W.Pearson Williams, Carrie Hutchens, Lucy Vestal, John C. (or E) Hutchens, and Cora Mackie.
William "Billy" Money was the first Clerk of this new body. A complete list of Charter Members has not been found. However, it is known that Jackson J. Williams, Billy and Sarah Money were three of the original members. It is believed that this record and other valuable church information was lost when the Clerk's home burned. The first minute book was known to be destroyed in that fire.
The first official representatives to the Yadkin Quarterly Meeting from Union Cross Friends Church were: Eva Williams (Carter), Ida Vestal (Shore), Bessie Carter (Willard), Harley O. Hobson, Bessie Adams (Carter), and John M. Jester. The number listed as members of the Sunday School in its first report following the approval of its becoming a monthly meeting was 75. The number present during the first three months at Sunday School totaled 557.
Clemontine ("Tiny") Money Beck, a sister to Billy and B.C. Money, was the secretary of the Sunday School in the early years. Johnny Wood, whose family later moved to Surry County, led the singing for a while, then for many years the singing was led by B.C. Money and Wesley Adams.
Wade Adams became active in the Lord's work as a young man. He probably was a charter member of the meeting.
D.Gray Hobson was superintendent of the Sunday School for many years.
Union Cross was the mother church of Mount Carmel which was started about 1886 in a brush arbor and was allowed to become a monthly meeting about 1924. Union Cross members also aided in the establishment of Pilot View Friends Church, which, again, originated in a brush arbor about 1908.
Pastors of the church have included: Wade H. Adams, David Sampson, Evan Adams, Franklin Warden, Lucy Vestal, Alice Spainhour, Mrs. Milner Angel Cox, Herman Dotson, Benjamin H. Milikan, G.Whitford Edgerton, Emanuel and Perchie Key, Claude Hobson, Jimmy Reinhardt, Herschel Hill, Roy Phillips, Kenneth Story, Reece Wall and Winfred Crouse.
-- Thad Wiseman